Despite going to culinary school, rice was the one thing I always found hard to make. I could never seem to get it right until my aunt shared her method with me (and hers is the best!). This is rice 101 and you can use this same method for cooking basically any type of rice, no culinary school required.
2 cups boiling water
1 cup basmati rice, rinsed
1 tsp turmeric
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp salt
– add 2 cups (plus just a little more) water to a small pot on high heat
– bring to a boil
– add the rice, turmeric, garlic and salt and stir gently once or twice
– cover and reduce heat to a low simmer (if you have an electric stove, your burner will take some time to cool down, move the pot so it’s half over the element and half off, this will keep it from boiling; once the element cools down, add the pot back over the entire element)
– simmer for 20 mins or until liquid is absorbed
– taste a piece of the rice, if it isn’t cooked add a bit more water and let it simmer a few more minutes
– once cooked, lightly fluff with a fork and serve hot
* The key is to not stir the rice while it cooks or it will become sticky!
Yield: 2 servings (2 cups)